Silesian potato dumplings aka kluski śląskie are wonderful themselves. But try this: coat those pillows-like balls in a sweet-spicy sesame gochujang sauce. Add smoked tofu and fried broccoli. Make your heart beat faster, as I love to.
Are you familiar with tteokbokki? Those Korean rice noodles are as sticky as the best chewy candy. Usually, they are served in the company of less or more spicy gochujang sauce. Although I adore them, they are not easily available in Poland. To compensate for the loss I reach for their Polish version: Silesian potato dumplings. Although they differ from their Korean sisters in many aspects, they both have the same hypnotizing tenderness that I look for.
Silesian Potato Dumplings with Smoked Tofu, Broccoli and Sesame Gochujang Sauce
2 level tablespoons gochujang paste
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
½ large broccoli head (250 g), divided into small florets
3 tablespoons oil
1 block (180 g) smoked tofu, cut into cubes
400 g Silesian potato dumplings, premade or homemade
sesame, to serve
1. First, prepare the sauce. Combine the gochujang paste, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice vinegar in a bowl.
2. Heat the oil on a pan on high heat. Add the broccoli with a pinch of salt. Fry, stirring from time to time, until brown and slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tofu and stir. Level the heat to medium.
3. In the meantime cook the silesian potato dumplings in salty water (remember that the water cannot boil because the dumplings will lose their shape). Strain the dumplings, leaving ½ cup of the cooking water.
4. Place the silesian potato dumplings on a pan, add the sauce and ½ cup of the cooking water. Cook, stirring until the sauce thickens and coats the potato dumplings, about 2 minutes.
5. Serve with the rest of the sauce, sesame, and green onion.
Instead of Silesian potato dumplings, you can use another kind of Polish potato dumplings called kopytka or pasta as well.
Do not forget to show your dish to the world! Post its photo on Instagram and tag me in it, so that I can see it! If you don’t follow my account on Instagram and TikTok, please do it to be always up to date!